Al, aloof but resilient
As I'm regarding the line of candidates -both Democrat and Republican - for the 2008 Election, I feel disengaged and indifferent toward those to which my vote is limited. As one debate after another is centered around the war in Iraq (which, granted, is certainly a big political issue), I feel as though my concerns, and those of this generation's like-minded people, are largely overlooked. The issue I see as most important isn't the war or national security, but instead breaches the current political boundaries into environmental (read: real) horizons. The most important issue, for me, is the health of the global climate, and I've become entirely disheartened by the lack of seriousness taken by these candidates, regardless of their party. Where's my candidate? Is my generation simply to be swallowed and stored for future use, when we've accumulated enough financial strength to have a valued opinion?!The issue at hand is bigger than the chess game of politics in which our country is currently indulging. It's bigger than bullying countries for oil. This is emissions, consumption, waste; climate change on a global scale. Our country has been responsible for much of the ecological destruction and yet, in our capitalist values, we're the ones most reluctant to impose policy changes. If we don't take the issue seriously, we will lead the entire world into environmental collapse. And yet, here the candidates discuss the virtues of their stand on an unnecessary war.
If I could vote for anyone, with all seriousness, it would be Gore. Not only does he have the serious initiative toward green policy, but he holds the respect of many international leaders. He's more than "the man behind An Inconvenient Truth." He's the most promising democratic candidate, and yet the left continues to ignore him. His credentials promise not only a resolution on "hippie" issues, but reconciliation with the world on the purely "political" level. He came out strongly against invading Iraq years before the rest of nation shook their quest for revenge. He has spent the past six years warning the world about global warming. And he was robbed of victory in 2000 by the man whom the Democrats loathe above all others. What better way of wiping out the Bush era than replacing him with the man who should have been president?
Gore has made countless statements claiming that he won't run, and you really can't blame his embittered sentiments toward politics. I can't help but wonder, though, if a true statesman can ignore the organized plea of a nation - if he won't succomb to the efforts of grassroots campaigns and the support of reputable friends.
At the end of the day, though, I must admit that I would still respect him if he didn't run. I would never want to extinguish his activist prowess with the limits imposed by the position of presidency. If Gore feels that he can accomplish bigger things outside of office, then I would have little choice but to impatiently sit and anticipate his next move. I trust that he will continue to dedicate himself to the climate change movement; perhaps there will still be salvation for the nation - and the world - beyond the monotony of political regimes like "Guiliani or Obama?"
Want to help draft Gore? sign the petition here.
Sources:
The Economist, Feb. 2007 & Nov. 2007
Times, May 2007
Seth Swirsky, politicalmavens.com, Nov. 2007
draftgore.com


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home