my not-so-novel philosophy
It is probably quite apparent by my tone in many of these most recent posts, but I am experimenting with a lot of new ideas, and would like to directly discuss them here. The lifestyle that I am now trying to develop for myself is derived from a realization that I came to this summer - an incredible awakening, at which point I understood the innate relationship between all of the ideals I already held in my life. It was after I read Kerouac's The Dharma Bums that I realized how closely tied my ideas were, and I began to pursue them full-force. Before this summer, I considered myself most interested in vegetarianism, environmental issues, autonomy from religious dogma, compassion for our natural surroundings, peace, art, writing, yoga... and I now see that these ideas are branches of some very significant spiritual mindsets.
I am attempting to achieve a lifestyle that originates from the philosophies of a couple different (but surprisingly synchronized) religions or mindsets...
First, Buddhism: Though I was first introduced to the ideas almost a year ago, I was quickly disenchanted by them when I attended a temple service. My original escape from Christianity made me resolute about finding a religion without strict structure and hypocrisy, and when I shared that Sunday-morning experience with other Denver Buddhists, I found the ornateness of the gold and bronze-covered building to be contradictory to the fundamental message of the religion - of modesty, simplicity, etc. I liked the service itself, which focused not on the Buddha but on the lifestyle of a Buddhist, but was disappointed in what I saw as hypocritical surroundings. I now understand that these decorations are merely to signify the building as a place of worship - an environment that many need for their practice. I, however, take Buddhism to be a worship of the earth, and I am most at peace when I meditate as close to it as possible. The religion, for me, is one of compassion, simplicity (lack of commodities), environmental understanding, modesty, tranquility, contemplation, and exerting as much good energies into the world as possible. Instead of aspiring to achieve and savor my own enlightenment, however, I want to aspire to become a bodhisattva, whose purpose and drive in life is toward the complete enlightenment and peace for all sentient beings (which ties into my animal-rights ideas.) I am unsatisfied with merely savoring a personal enlightenment, and many of my passions are instead directed toward the betterment of living things that modern society sees as "trivial." My Buddhist views are my aspiration to achieve a sense of goodness, and to then exert that onto all living things in order to bring them too to a place of peace.
Second, transcendentalism: I was introduced to this, as most people were, through the work of Henry David Thoreau (specifically, Walden) and the message makes sense. This one is a more direct statement against a society and culture that blindly adheres to wrong ideals, and is often a deliberate and complete rejection of civilization in order to pursue a lifestyle above it. (Their determination to make a statement is sometimes a direct one, though, as evident in Thoreau's night in prison after refusing to pay taxes in protest of the Mexican-American War and slavery.) Transcendentalists believed in a state of being that "transcends" societal obligations, and they were adament that this state was achieved through one's own intuitions and self-directed contemplations rather than strict religious doctrines. The transcendentalist, it is important to note, dispels society but not individuals themselves - many are very communal, creating an "economic exchange" without the burden of currency. They adhere to a more natural existence, whose purpose is the contribution of art and writing.
Third, Beatniks: I didn't think I would fall so in love with this philosophy as much as I did. These individuals were extremely unique in their spontaneous, shuffling lifestyle and their compulsion to create. They let go of commodities, jobs and permanent residences - things that suppressed movement and fluidity - instead pursuing a life of eternal exploration, creativity, change, enlightenment and search. They were courageous, insightful (though often drug-addicted) individuals who left a significant mark on my capacity to merely accept society as it is. Their message encourages me to question its entirety and pursue a path outside of its suppressive expectations. They renounced structure both in their lives and their work, and I admire that. They represent, for me, a fearless pursuit of autonomy and creative freedom.
These three philosophies all reject strict religious and societal doctrines, instead cherishing an existence unsuppressed by blind adherence. They promote individuality, naturalness, simplicity, thought, and creation. They all have the capacity for environmental concerns as a priority, and all encourage the pursuit of freedom through escape from materialism, power and politics. These ideas came together for me in Gary Snyder's character Japhy in The Dharma Bums, who is a mountaineer/Buddhist/poet/environmentalist - the Thoreau of the beat generation, I've heard. He's my current inspiration for all of this research and intermingling.
So my aspiration is the blending of these ideas, and demonstrating their active role in my daily and longterm life. I feel strength and encouragement for the first time, and I feel support from generations of movements. I want to create my own message and actively work towards positive change for all other, overlooked living things. I hope to achieve an existence that diminshes my physical impact on the world - not only my body itself (though that's a consideration) but my use of resources and the waste I create - while simultaneously amplifying my non-physical impact on the world - through positive energies, strong messages, art and writing. I am doing everything in my power to eliminate my bodily impact by consuming less, inhabiting less, wasting less. And at the same time, I feel an intense urge to spread a tremendous message with the world, by any means possible. Those two equally important aspirations are my foundation right now.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home