I'm a college student, full of inspiration and critique.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

that's righteous.

I've compiled my reasons for supporting vegetarianism.
My decision to do so was not to engage anyone,
but merely to humor my own obsession with lists.

They are more or less in order of importance:
1. cruelty: It is a statement against the injustice imposed on those animals which are subjected to a lifetime in the meat industry that leads to a tortuous death.

2. compassion: I feel better about myself knowing that no life was taken to satisfy my hunger. ( I am indeed not so important that something has to die every time I want to eat. )

3.
environment: I am lessening my footprint by eliminating animals from my diet- not only could we feed a third-world country with the grains we feed our beef, but the waste from factory farms is a significant contributor to our current pollution situation.

4. cleanliness: I can't have an appetite for something that is literally covered in feces (know where e-coli comes from?) and comes into contact with employees' hands, unsanitized surfaces, bloody floors... you get the idea.

5. health: This is fifth because I obviously continue to supplement my diet with my share of cookies. However, meat has been traced as a significant contributor to very serious health issues (including but not limited to: high cholestorel, heart attacks/cardiovascular disease, colon and breast cancer, osteoporosis, and obesity. (http://www.taxmeat.com/health.asp)) I'd rather die of old age, I'm pretty sure.

So many people think, "Oh I could never do that."
Well, I can't imagine not doing it, knowing all that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home