I'm a college student, full of inspiration and critique.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Movie Review

Title: Lila Says (Lila Dit Ca)
Year: 2004

This is one of the most beautifully heart-wrenching stories I've encountered recently (I read the short novel the day before I decided to rent the film); it's a remarkable statement on young obsessions, sexual tensions, and the tragedy of adolescent insecurity. I was intrigued by the novel though not entirely thrilled by it while reading, finding the sexual content obviously entrancing but the story overall a bit flat... that is, until the final scene, in which the whole book comes together in a moment of anguish.

It's set in the very poor Arabic neighborhood of Marseilles, France (it is a French film), where a strikingly blond girl, Lila, startles the entire dark-complexioned community. She instantly stands out, not only in appearance but in demeanor- she speaks almost entirely of sex, unashamed of the most graphic terms, descriptions and actions. (She is described as having the face of an angel but the mouth of a whore, which adds to her agonizing charm.) To add to her mystery, she ignores the majority of the neighborhood but singles out Chimo, an average downtrodden dark nineteen year old.

Chimo is captivated by this dualism of Lila, drawn to her but unable to touch her. (Despite her constant sexual language and blatant promiscuity, he's too paralyzed with intimidation and fear to initiate sex.) His familiar adolescent awkwardness, his self-proclaimed love for Lila, his sentimentality, and his ceaseless determination to do everything possible for her, all make him very endearing. His lack of courage, however, is also his downfall, as he fails to defend her when jealous gang buddies insult her. Lila is aware of this and eventually likens Chimo to the low level of his buddies just before emotionally shutting him out.

The end, of course, is the finale of this complicated love tangle- a moment in which all truth is revealed and both Chimo and Lila are left broken and devastated. Chimo finally understands the full effects of his cowardice, and Lila suffers the consequence of his spinelessness and her own actions.

This is a painfully exquisite story. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in tragic affection and foreign film. I do, however, encourage you to read the novel as well- it's fairly short and can be read in a couple hours.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

1:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

8:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

3:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

2:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home