I'm a college student, full of inspiration and critique.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Movie Review

Title: Breakfast on Pluto

Year: 2005

I thought this film was wonderful. It was another great example of an individual questioning his or her gender-identity, much like But I'm A Cheerleader, but I found this film to be particularly more mature and far less teenie-bopper.

Cillian Murphy plays Patrick/Patricia "Kitten" Braden, a transgender Irish man looking for his identity by searching for his anonymous biological mother. (Cillian is an obvious cast in this role with his amazingly "pretty" appearance and seemingly easy "feminine"/"gay" mannerisms.) Kitten's characteristic naivete makes him both endearing and frustrating, and his struggle with his gender identity (moving from the label "girl" to "boy" and back again several times throughout the film) is one that both enlightens and confuses. He represents a whole lot of ambiguity, but also demonstrates common humanistic qualities that make him appealing, like his driving desire to love and be loved.

In short, a terrific film to rent if you're looking for something different.... or if you simply like Cillian's striking blue eyes. Haha.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

1:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»

8:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

6:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

12:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home